Cache memory is very important in computer science. It is a portion of memory in which programs save values or intermediate processing steps. From the cache memory, they are able to retrieve this useful information and thus speed up processing. Let’s discover how to clear browser cache.
In browsers, which are the programs with which we surf the net, the cache memory is of particular importance. In fact, to speed up access to websites and web services, portions of these are saved while we are browsing. This is an excellent solution since it allows you to avoid re-downloading the same data from the web several times, but it also has a small flaw.
How to clear browser cache
Sometimes, the information in the cache becomes corrupted or simply interferes in a suboptimal way with a new version of the same page or service. In these circumstances, it will be possible to notice malfunctions in accessing the service and the page’s functioning.
If you have a web service that worked fine until some time ago, but now you don’t want to know anymore, it could be a problem with your browser’s cache. In the next paragraphs, we will see how to clear the cache of the most used browsers. Don’t worry. Once cleared, the cache will be automatically recreated with the correct values and updated at the first useful opportunity.
Clear the Google Chrome cache
The Big G browser, over the years, has become the most used and widespread one. It only takes a few clicks to clear the cache and solve annoying problems.
To proceed, you must:
- open Chrome;
- click at the top right on the button with the three dots placed vertically;
- press on the item “Other instruments “, and then on “Clear navigation data “;
- the menu can also be accessed via the key combination “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “Canc”;
once the dedicated screen is open, we can only check the item” Images and files stored in the cache” and
- Press the blue button “Clear data “.
If the problems with some sites or services continue, you can try to solve them by also placing the checkmark next to the items “Site settings” and “App data in hosting “and then always press the blue button “Clear data “.
Delete the cache on Mozilla Firefox
The well-known open-source browser remains very popular and used. Even here, it only takes a few steps to eliminate the cache effectively.
To reach the goal, it is enough:
- launch the Firefox browser;
- Press the menu button at the top right (3 horizontal lines characterize it);
- then click on “Options “;
- in this screen, on the left of the interface, press on the item “Privacy and security”;
- then scroll down to find the “Cookies and website data” section and click on the “Delete data” button;
in the screen that opens, you can choose what to delete by putting or removing the ticks. To clear the cache choose “Web content in cache” and click on the blue button “Delete. “
Clear the Microsoft Edge browser cache
Microsoft’s Browser is climbing the ranks of user satisfaction, especially since it is based on the Chromium code. Even on this program to navigate it takes just a few steps to clear the cache, here they are in short:
- open the Edge browser;
- Click on the menu button at the top right (characterized by 3 dots);
- then press on the Settings item, then in the bar on the right of the interface press on “Privacy, search and services “;
- at this point, reach the section “Clear browsing data “;
- and click on the blue button “Choose what to delete “;
- in the new dialog screen above you can choose a time interval, and under what you want to delete. For our purposes just check the item” Images and files stored in the cache “;
- to complete press the blue button “Cancel now “.
Delete cache files on Opera
The Opera browser is also based on the Chromium code, but with some interesting additions, there is a free VPN service and ad blocking is integrated.
Clearing the cache is also easy on this program to browse, just:
- open Opera;
- click on the Settings button at the top right;
- then scroll in the sidebar that opens and press on “Go to complete settings “;
- in the complete settings screen scroll until you find the “Privacy and security” section, then click on the item “Delete browsing data “;
- a dialog box will open, at the top through a drop-down menu you can choose the time interval, it is advisable to choose “All “;
- then only check the item “Images in the cache and files “, and to finish press the blue button “Clear data “.